Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Conversion - Part 3

I looked at them and motioned with my hand to come on. I smiled at them and said, "well come on in" They just kept looking at each other but then they came in. One of the boys introduced himself and his friend and said "How did you know we were coming?" "Oh some guy wrote to me and said he was sending you" "Do you mind if I see that letter?" So I reached over to the make shift table by the door and handed him the letter and started to talking to the other boy. The one with the letter said "It's from Elder Ballard" I said, "yea, some guy who wrote a book, have you ever heard of him?" With a smile on their faces he said, "He is a member of our church" I was impressed, these kids knew all the members of their church! They explained they were split up from their friends and if I wanted one of them would come back and answer my questions the next night when his friend was back. (OK, so later I found out what a Split was and that this friend was his companion and the district leader who read the letter was not normally there) They left a movie for me to watch about families being together forever and a book for me to look through (blue Book of Mormon). I was so excited and could not wait for the next day to come. Robert was leaving the next day to go to Provo Utah and see if this was a place we might want to move to. He wanted no part of listening to some boys talk about church. He took off about an hour before they were due to arrive. He returned home just before they got there saying the pass had been closed due to the snow and he could not go. So when the boys arrived and found out that Robert was home, they asked if I would go get him so they could meet him. The whole family was in the room for a few minutes and then the kids went to play and I started asking questions. They were hesitant to answer my questions, they kept saying "That is in lesson three or we'll get to that in lesson 5" I was very frustrated. I wanted the answers to my questions not a history lesson and other things. Robert was very skeptical and when they left they asked if they could being someone with them when they returned the next day. They brought Sgt. Garlich who was able to put things into army terms so that Robert could understand more of what they were saying. The three of them came back the next night also. It was Friday night and I we had been at it since 6:30 pm and it was after 10. They had to leave. I had so many more questions. The next afternoon when they came by and sat down, Robert started arguing with them again about how what they were saying could not be correct. I finally just yelled, " Will you just get on with this, I want to be baptised and I can't do that if we can't get past lesson two." I looked at the missionary who had fallen out of his chair and said "What's wrong?" He said, "Nothing, it is just a missionary thing" " I AM allowed to get baptised aren't I?" Yes, but we need to finish the lessons first. We found out that Jeremy had to sit in on the lessons also since he was 10 but not the other kids. The missionaries were at our house everyday eating lunch and dinner most days and taking turns helping me find the answers to my questions in the scriptures and keeping the kids busy so I could learn. Then came the day to get interviewed for baptism.

1 comment:

Mike n Julia said...

Wow Mary, I never knew your conversion story and that one is amazing! Holy cow i had goose bumps the whole time i read it! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!
Love Always
Julia