When I was growing up I went to church every Sunday with my mother and brothers and sisters. We were Presbyterian. I loved going to church and I even sang in the choir. We were heavily involved in the Youth Group and went to church camp and spoke during Youth Sunday. I loved it. But during Sunday school I was known as the "trouble maker" because I kept asking questions that no one could answer. I was always wanting them to explain the scriptures and just how could a Father take part of himself and send it to earth to live. There had to be a better explanation than that. There had to be more to Heaven than just "better than you can imagine". I could feel the Spirit speaking to me when I prayed but He was not always there. I felt His presence in my life and was proud of the scriptures I could memorize and spout off at a moment's notice but something was missing. When I was a Junior in High School I began searching for what was missing in my life. I went to church with some of my baptist and Methodist friends but it did not satisfy my thirst. When I went to college I continue searching. I went around asking people what church they went to. I asked them to take me to church with them. Most of the time the kids would say "well, we don't actually GO to church but I can tell you where they are." I visited every church I could find but nothing seemed to satisfy me. I even went to Buddhist church once although I have to admit I did not stay long for the service, I felt really out of place there. The only churches I did not visit were 1. Jewish 2. Jehovah Witness and 3. Mormon. I could not find anyone who went to one of these churches. I was not happier at any other church so I stayed where I was. I began to attend church off and on over the years not being happy at any of them but felt it was important to go. I tithed to all the different churches I went to. I prayed and read the Bible, many different versions of the Bible. I always felt something missing and longed for the peace of what the next life would bring even though I did not know what it would be like. My husband was in the Army and we moved a lot. I would always search out people who went to church at each new city and hope to find what I was missing.
No comments:
Post a Comment