Elder Scott spoke on Exercising
our Faith. I loved it when he said he
would talk about 4 different tools we have and that we must seek guidance to
see how we could use them better. We
hear it over and over again Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Home Evening and
Temple Attendance are the keys to our staying on the straight and narrow
path. We hear it so often that it
becomes an automatic answer to most questions asked in Sunday school and Relief
Society. We tend to tune out a little
because we KNOW this and now want to talk about something else. But this time I paid close attention to what
he was saying because I thought, “ You are influencing your Grandchildren now,
maybe you need to do something different than you did with your kids, after all
each generation will face tougher challenges than the one before”. I am adding the thoughts that came to me as I
was re-reading this talk as well as what was said from the pulpit.
Prayer, Heavenly Father wants to hear from us, He wants to
hear what we are doing are thinking and feeling. Just like when your child (or Grandchild)
comes to you and you are so excited to hear what they want to say, even when
you already know more about it than they do, you still listen and care about
what they say and how they feel. You
light up when a child hugs you or just wants to sit beside you because they
love you. Heavenly Father feels the same
way. He gets excited to hear our prayers
and wants us to come to Him and be close to Him because we love Him. When I pray I need to converse more about my
life and make Him more of a friend.
Scripture Study, this is how Heavenly Father speaks to
us! How can we learn how much He loves
us if we do not take the time to listen (or read) what He is telling us? Take
the time to study the words of God through our scriptures and words the General
Authorities have spoken, it will bring you peace and love. I need to be more diligent with do scriptures
with the kids. They need to learn the
stories from the scriptures just as much as I need to tell them.
Family Home Evening, This is the time you need to set aside
to strengthen your family. This will
give your children the strength they need to combat the things of the
world. This is where you teach the
gospel to your family and give each member an opportunity to bear their
testimony and learn skills such as how to teach, plan and organize a
lesson. This is where I have fallen
down. Since the kids graduated High
School I have stopped doing FHE because they all go their separate ways. I need to have something for whoever is at
home at the time, even if that is only me.
Temple Attendance – We need to attend as often as
possible. This is where I need to really
work on my thought process. As Often As
Possible has turned out not to be often enough.
I do not have time to go to the Temple because I am always taking care
of someone else or I have gotten too tired to do anything after I am relieved
of my duties! I need to start going in the morning as soon as they open so that
I have the strength I need to keep me going and in a good mind frame. I need the wisdom found in the temple. I need to stop making excuses for not going
and just go. Maybe I can swap
babysitting with someone so that another can have the same opportunity to go to
the temple as I will have.
Basically I need to get back to the basics with more enthusiasm
than I have had lately. I need to
remember the feelings I had when I first learned about these things and how
wonderful it was when I was using them properly!

No comments:
Post a Comment