Sunday, January 18, 2009

We are those saviors

Elder Theodore M Burton has said: "The promise was made them, our ancestors, that even if they were born at a time and place where they could not hear the gospel preached in life, God would provide saviors for them from among their descendants so they could eventually receive all the blessings promised them. We are those saviors." In our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we believe that we will all be together again in the next estate (when we leave this earth). How wonderful it will be to get to the other side and see the people who belong to the names in our family tree. How wonderful it will be to look them in the eye and know something about them because of the work I am doing during my lifetime, researching their past, learning all I can about who they were and what they did and what it was like when they were alive, what the ship looked like that carried them to the United States, how if they did not have the courage to leave Poland or Scotland and settle here, I would be living a very different life right now. I am grateful to my ancestors for the courage they had in living their lives the way they did, even when their families disapproved and cut them off wanting nothing more to do with them, because now I have the freedom to live my life the way I choose and open up paths for future generations. I am grateful I have the opportunity to leave a legacy of faith for my descendants to follow.

No comments: