Sunday, December 28, 2008

Finding Joy in the Journey

Conference Oct 2008, President Monson gave a talk entitled "Finding Joy in the Journey" and we are going to be discussing it in Relief Society today for our lesson so I decided to reread it this morning so that I would have everything clear in my mind and could take part in the discussion. I loved this talk when he gave it, and I loved it again when the Ensign came out and I love it again now. I have printed off a copy of it and will keep it with my scriptures so that I can refer to it often. When I read it I think about how often I dream of tomorrows that never come. I worry about when will I have time to do things with the kids like I use to and not be tired every evening when I get home from work. I think about the yesterdays when the kids and I would spend all our time together, going to support each other and being involved in each others lives. I often regret living here, being so far away from friends and family and knowing that Jennifer will be moving out to Utah in the summer to live with Jeremy and Jack will be on his mission and it will be just Joy and myself home. Time flies by so quickly. Some things in life seemed so large at the time and took alot of effort but they were just fleeting moments and now they are gone and other things have taken their place. I do try to enjoy the here and now and I cherish the moments we are all together. I am very thankful to Heavenly Father for all that He does for my family. In the last week and a half we were able to travel to Missouri and see most of my family, then back to Arkansas to spend time with Robert's family and all the kids were together, laughing and having fun and fighting at times, just like they use to. Robert has been home for two weeks now, enjoying all the time together with everyone. It is a sobering thing to read the words of President Monson when he says "Brothers and sisters, my sincere prayer is that we may adapt to the changes in our lives, that we may realize what is most important, that we may express our gratitude always and thus find joy in the journey..." I have taken inventory of the things I have and the things I can not change and the things I have to look forward to on the other side. I am very grateful for the true gospel in my life. I am very grateful that Elder Ballard sent missionaries to our home to help us find the truth that this church teaches us. I am grateful to know that someday my family will be together forever with true love for each other and time to spend together. I am very grateful that Jack is home for this semester before he leaves on his mission, so we can spend time together, working and playing and having a priesthood holder in the home again. Jack is such a good example to the girls and myself, he is going to be an awesome missionary and who knows, maybe he will be a good example to Robert and our family will be able to be sealed together in this lifetime! I am going to try harder to find the joy in the journey and life each day to the fullest. I will enjoy the last few games the girls have in basketball knowing it is Jennifer's last because of graduating this year and because we do not know where Joy will go to school next year and if she will be on any sports teams. I am going to enjoy having Jack and Jennifer both work in the same office as me even if we do not see each other much during the day. I am going to enjoy using the webcam and seeing Bailey grow up and be thankful we have this technology to use. I am thankful that both of the kids work at places that will allow them to be off on Sundays and also Wednesday nights so they can attend church activities. I am thankful that we have jobs and cars and a home to live in. I am thankful we have clothes to wear and friends to visit with, even if only in emails and blogs. I am grateful to have the gospel in my life and to know that my Savior lives and that He loves me enough to die for me. I am grateful to know that one day I will return to my Heavenly Father and that just maybe, He will say to me "well done thy good and faithful servant" or it might just be "well thanks for trying" but either way, I WILL return to him. I love you all.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Do you know what I miss... I miss being a kid and you always visiting.... But to have that back again we would miss the amazing person that you have become. I just love the person you have become. *not that you were bad before but you know what I mean!!*