I just spent 3 days at a UPGS conference in Salt Lake. It was attended by 82 people working on their Polish Ancestors. It was an amazing three days. On Friday, we started off with two classes at the Family History Library, given by Missionaries, to teach us about the FHL and the Catalog. We then had 8 hours to work on our Genealogy. I had to go home during this time to watch Karson because everyone was working and Joy had just had surgery two days before this and could not lift anything. Then I went back to hear Mark Olsen talk about My Heritage. It was good and he gave everyone there a free 6 month full access subscription. Mine runs out Nov 4 but by then I should be able to get the free access through the program they are about to do with the church.
Then Sonja Hoeke-Nishimoto spoke to us about Advancing your Polish Research. It was really good as well. Sonja works on the International Floor of the FHL so she will be able to help when I have problems.
Saturday I did not go down until 10am (watched the boys at Bailey's game so Jeremy could coach). I attended the Maps &Gazetteers for Genealogy by Sonja then we had a break to work on our own Genealogy until 2. At 2 Josh Taylor taught us how to Create Our Personal Family History Website. When he finished, Ceil Jensen taught us what a Immigration Agent was and how it would help our research. This ended at 5 and I went home for the day while the other people hung around for the Polish Folk Dancers that started at 7.
Sunday I went down to Temple Square and arrived at 10 just as the Mormon Tab. Choir was finishing. I met up with Patti Campbell and we walked around Temple Square taking pictures and talking. There were only 5 people who were LDS (that we could tell) at the conference so we hung out together. Then the classes started. We heard from a man who lives in Poland called Tadeusz Pilat. He taught us about the Notary Records in Poland. Then Josh Taylor spoke about New Tools and Ideas in Research. After Josh was Ceil Jensen again who spoke on The Peasant & the Palace (Locating /Researching Manor Records). That was fun. Then Greg Nelson from Family Search taught us about the Partition Records available in the FHL and LDS Filming Projects in Poland. Then we had a dinner break and Patti and I went to JB's resturant there at the Hotel and had BLT sandwiches. We went back to hear the last speaker of the day, Ceil Jensen spoke on This is Women's Work - Midwifery. I came home, it was 8:30pm. Today, Monday, they have another fun day and a banquet tonight but I can not go because Jeremy began working today and I will have their kids when Lora and his schedule overlap. It will be all day long on Monday, half day on Tuesday and at least one other day during the week for a full day, this week it is Friday.
So I will have to manage my time carefully from now on to get everything done and have time for Genealogy!!!!!
Jeremy turns 32
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment