Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gospel Principles for my own study

I have began a personal study of the Gospel Principles book. I feel like I need to read each chapter as it pertains to my own life. I am going to attempt to document my thoughts about each chapter.
Chapter one: I know that Heavenly Father is wonderful and is every good thing. I know He is all I want to be. Right now, in this point in my life I want to know HIM more personally. I want to be better friends with HIM and want to share things with Him not just pray "to" Him.

Chapter two: It just occurred to me (like someone hitting me in the head with a book) that because we possessed different talents and abilities before we came here and we were called to do different things that I have to stop getting upset at my family when they do not show the compassion towards one another (and towards me) and when they do not serve each other the way I want them to. Maybe I had the gift of service before I can here and maybe that is why I feel so strongly about serving people. I have always said that service begins in the home to your own family and it upsets me when I see my family being selfish with each other and I have to learn to let it go because their purpose here isn't to build up our family, that is one of my own purposes. Maybe if I can remember that they are all responsible for themselves now I will not have so may heartaches. I always dreamed of the day when my kids would appreciate all that I have done and continue to do for them everyday and would love to hear a thank you to make it all worth it. Maybe that day won't come until we are reunited on the other side???
It says God has chosen the time and place for each of us to be born so we can learn the lessons we personally need and do the most good with our individual talents and personalities. This means I am here to learn and grow and use my own talents to help others just like other people use their talents to help me. I have been jealous of people like Dana and others who are excellent cooks and are great seamstress and people like Michelle who's musical ability is beyond belief, and many others as well. I have always wanted to be able to do things like they can and now I realize that I wanted to be good at it so that I could help other people with the abilities, that is the service part of me trying to come out even more. Maybe I should spend my energy serving better with the talents I have instead of being jealous of others talents. I am a great teacher of Family History. I have the patience to help others learn what they have to do in order to do their own work. Not everyone can teach others just like not everyone can make great meals without using recipes, or have the eye to take perfect photos or have the musical ability to bless everyone's lives just by playing a song with a smile on her face.
It says in Chapter 2 that the purpose for our progression was to have a fulness of joy. That we would have trials in our lives to purify us. I have to remember that the trials are to make me stronger NOT to defeat me. I have to take the sickness, disappointment, pain, sorrow and death that I have been given and use it to make me a better person. I am the only ME in this world and I have to grow with each experience that I have to make me a stronger vessel for Heavenly Father to use.

Stay tuned for more lessons I am trying to learn!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a neat idea, Mary, to study like that. I am glad you post your thoughts here. I believe another one of your talents is noticing when someone needs lifting and being willing to reach out to them. I can think of several times when you responded to promptings to reach out to me, and were then such a blessing to me at those times!
Love always,
Michelle