I watched as Jack said Good-Bye to people in Arkansas and we headed out to Utah. Jack was so excited to go but was sad to say good-bye to his many friends. It was the beginning of a life changing experience for him and a bitter sweet time for me. I know it is time to let him go and that Heavenly Father will protect him while he is gone and he will make a great missionary but at the same time it is so sad to know that I will not get to see him or hug him for two whole years. Jack had become the Spiritual head in our home and took a bit of the weight off of me for a while and now he is leaving. That sounds selfish but being the Spiritual head was meant for a priesthood holder and I just am not strong enough to carry that burden. We are back to no priesthood holder in the house and last night when Jack was set apart as a full time missionary I felt the load come back to me. The day was a good day, Janet (a dear friend),Jeremy, Jack and I went to the Salt Lake Temple to support one of Jack's best friends growing up as he took out his endowments preparing for his mission to Brazil in October. Then Lora brought Jennifer and Joy down and Janet and I watched as Jack preformed baptisms with first Joy then Jennifer and then Jeremy did Lora. As the others were getting dressed, Jeremy continued to help several other people who were there waiting. Then we drove home and prepared Jack's farewell supper which we had to hurry and eat and leave everything sitting on the table while we went to the stake center for Jack's setting apart. Robert was there and he was at work when Jeremy was set apart. It was a wonderful time as Kyle played the piano and we sang Be Still My Soul and then Jack said the prayer. Jeremy gave a spiritual thought which was fabulous and then President spoke. After his words of advise the priesthood holders were called up to set Jack apart. It was great to see Kyle be able to stand in the circle to support Jack along with all the very close friends who have supported us since we joined the church. Then we were all reminded that Jack is now a full time missionary and no more hugs for people just handshakes and he must have a companion with him at all times now. He went home with Jeremy and we will pick him up this morning on the way to the MTC. I did not sleep at all last night and was up at 4:30 this morning trying to write a letter to give to Jack to open tomorrow and then one to mail to him so it gets it on Friday. We do not know how long he will be at the MTC with assume 3 weeks, they will tell him after he arrives there. Today is a hard day but a happy one.
2 comments:
I just read this after reading your more recent ones (I'm kind of behind!). It helped me see into your heart better.
I don't know why you are not blessed with the Priesthood permanently in your home. But I do know that Heavenly Father is watching over you, and aware of your pain as well as your faithfulness to Him. One of the most comforting things someone said to me when I lost Benjamin was, after expressing their sorrow, "One day all will be well with the Lord's covenant people."
Isn't sending out a missionary the best and one of the hardest things to do? I hope you had a sweet experience with Jack before you had to let him go. We love you!
Post a Comment